Boston High School is an 11-18 Grammar School for girls situated on the outskirts of Boston on a very attractive and well-appointed site. The roll is 715 with a three form entry. Boston is a pleasant market town with a population of about 50,000 and is one of the least expensive areas in the country for housing. The coast and the Wolds are within easy reach, as are Peterborough, Nottingham and Lincoln. The town’s amenities include an Arts Centre and Theatre, Music Centre and Sports complex
The High School was built in 1938, since when there have been considerable extensions to the teaching and recreational provisions. Teaching opportunities and possibilities are exceptionally good, not least because of the supportive staff and the aspirations and motivation of many of the girls. The school is certainly a congenial place in which to work, with men and women fairly equally represented on the staff. It offers a wide variety of well supported activities outside the classroom, especially in music, drama, sport and the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme.
Boston High School was opened on January 19th 1921 at Allan House on Carlton Road. The original school had 112 girls on roll, and was lead by the headmistress, Miss Knipe supported by 7 other members of staff.
In 1922, the number of girls on roll had expanded, and as a result of this additional classrooms arrived in the form of ‘huts’. In this year, three student houses were established – Conway, Ingelow and Allan.
a photograph of Allan House on Carlton Road Source: Boston High School Magazine, Volume 15 - July 1938
Boston High School moved to its current location, on Spilsby Road, during the autumn term of 1938. The school was officially opened during 1939, by Alderman Kitwood – who would later have a house named after him. There were three open days held for parents in 1939, the first being in June. Below, you can see an article which was published in the Boston Standard on May 13th 1939 - detailing the opening of the new school.
click the image to open a full size PDF (3MB)
article courtesy of the Boston Standard
Also in 1939, World War II started, and during the war, the school was home to girls from Hull, who were evacuated from their own town due to the expected German bombing raids.
a photograph showing the Entrance Hall at the new School site, based on Spilsby Road Source: Boston High School Magazine, Volume 16 - July 1939
More school history to come soon!