Social, Moral, Spiritual & Cultural
What are our aims?
At Boston High School we recognise that the personal development of pupils, spiritually, morally, socially and culturally, plays a significant part in their ability to learn and achieve. We therefore aim to provide an education that provides pupils with opportunities to explore and develop their own values and beliefs, spiritual awareness, high standards of personal behaviour, a positive, caring attitude towards other people, an understanding of their social and cultural traditions and an appreciation of the diversity and richness of the cultures.
School culture and environment - School CODE, Behaviour/Reward system, assemblies, charity support, shared ethos, pupil voice (School Council), priority on School Improvement Plan, Behaviour code of conduct, outdoor spaces for lunchtime. School website.
Assessing, recording and reporting pupil achievement - Self/peer assessment, subject evaluation forms, celebration of achievement, annual certificates/awards, annual reports, parents evenings, reward points, photos and evidence, website, school bulletin.
Policy development - SMSC Policy, Behaviour Policy, Safety Policy, SEND, Teaching and Learning, Anti-Bullying Policy, Equal Opportunities, Racial Policy.
Giving pupils a voice/leadership - School Council, lead House Assemblies, prefects system, Student Leadership Team, pupil surveys, Young Journalist Team, Newsletters, pupil voice for interviews, librarians, subject prefects, National Citizenship Award, Boston Youth Council, Duke of Edinburgh Award, Year 11 transition interviews, Sports Leaders, LAMDA public speaking awards, EPQ/HPW opportunities.
Provision of pupil support service - On Site School Counsellor, dedicated student support centre, Children and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS), Family support worker, SEND, Learning Support Mentors, careers service, Educational Welfare Officers, EAL support, School Nurse team, Hospital School, KOOTH online counselling, Healthy Minds, Early Help Workers, Boston Project Educational Mentors, Mobilise Mental Health project, Student Welfare Officers, Buddy system for new pupils, transition support.
To enable the school to map its provision of SMSC, we have used a simple code for staff to tell us the specific detail of their event or contribution. For example, if a member of staff is running a trip to the Tate Modern we would code that as CB (cultural participation).
How have we broken these areas down?
Spiritual Development (Spiritual A fascination, Spiritual B beliefs)
- Sustain their self-esteem in their learning experience. SPA
- Develop their capacity for critical and independent thought. SPA
- Reflect on, consider and celebrate the wonders and mysteries of life. SPA
- Experience moments of stillness and reflection. SPA
- Discuss their beliefs, feelings, values and responses to personal experiences. SPB
- Form and maintain worthwhile and satisfying relationships SPB
- Foster their emotional life and express their feelings SPB
Moral Development (Moral A right wrong, Moral B consequences, Moral C views and values)
- Gain the confidence to cope with setbacks and learn from mistakes. MA
- Distinguish between right and wrong. MA
- Listen and respond appropriately to the views of others. MB
- Take initiative and act responsibly with consideration for others. MB
- Recognise the unique value of each individual. MC
- Show respect for the environment. MC
- Make informed and independent judgements. MC
Social Development(Social A identity, Social B participate, Social C communities)
- Develop an understanding of their individual and group identity. SA
- Participate in wider community events. SB
- Learn about a service in the school and wider community. SC
Cultural Development (Cultural A respect, Cultural B participate)
- Recognise the value and richness of cultural diversity in Britain, and how these influenced individuals and society.CA
- Develop an understanding and respect their social and cultural environment.CA
- Develop a respect and understanding of Britain’s local, national, European, Commonwealth and global dimensions.CA
- Participate in art, musical, sports challenges and events. CB