Pupils at Boston High School annually have cyber bullying enrichment lessons where they discuss different forms of bullying and what to do about it. Here are some support mechanisms open to them:
- Tell any member of staff
- Go to a Student Welfare Officer drop in session and discuss the issue
- Parents/Carers can download our bullying report form and email it in
- Worry box in main reception
- Updated Anti – Bullying notice board – with support posters on
Is it Bullying?
- If we improperly classify rudeness and mean behaviour as bullying—whether to simply make conversation or to bring attention to a short-term issue—we all run the risk of the term bullying losing it’s importance and severity.
- It is important to distinguish between rude / mean and bullying so we all know what to pay attention to and when to intervene.
- Obviously, we will deal with anyone who has upset another person in our community but we all need to be aware of what the term bullying means and the seriousness of the term and what detrimental impact it can have on someone’s life.
Is it Rude, Mean or Bullying?
- Rude = Inadvertently saying or doing something that hurts someone else
- Mean = Purposefully saying or doing something to hurt someone once (or maybe twice)
- Bullying = Intentionally aggressive behaviour, repeated over time, that involves an imbalance of power
What will the School Do?
- Individual or Group Pastoral Support (Tutor, Heads of Key Stage, Student Welfare Officers, Student Support Team or other support staff)
- Mediation between Bully/Bullies and Victim
- Signed agreement not to contact, directly or indirectly, victim again
- Involvement of external agencies e.g. Community Police
- Close monitoring by Form Tutor/Head of Key Stage.
- Keeping a log of incidents
- Ban the perpetrator’s electronic devices in school
- Use of Behaviour Improvement Plans to monitor pupil
- Contact Parents/Carers of perpetrator
If the behaviour continues we may:
- Internal Suspension
- Fixed Term Exclusion
- Permanent Exclusion
Bullying Support Websites
Download Boston High School Bullying Incident Report Form